20 cool 3D printing designs
Looking for 20 cool 3D printing designs? 3D printing has really taken off in recent years, and only your imagination is the limit when it comes to what you can print. Here are 20 cool ideas for things you can design and print with a 3D printer.
1. Clothing. From intricate lacework on a top to a waterproof bikini, you can make any type of garment or accessory with a 3D printer, so get ready to rock that futuristic look.
2. Fabric. A 3D printer can be used to replicate the woven effect of knitting. Whether you want a chunky, visible weave or something that looks as smooth as silk, just fire up that printer and create a cute gift for your mom.
3. High heels. The designer Pauline Van Dongen has created some amazing red high heels from a nylon mix. As stylish and glamorous as they are technologically innovative, these are beautiful shoes.
4. Scott Summi created the world’s first 3D printed acoustic guitar, which means the rest of us now know it can be done. With 3D printing, guitars can be made with plastic, complete with the metal soundhole cover and heel joint. Apart from making working musical instruments, avid guitarists can also make a 3D replica of the guitars of their favorite musicians or idols.
5. Cups and other vessels. Forget pottery wheels! The 3D printer is the new way to create gorgeous, unique homeware.
6. Sculptures. Design a work of art and print it out- what could be simpler? A handful of contemporary artists have already picked up on this trend.
7. Clocks! This is the perfect blend of art and mechanics. Download files that will enable you to print a beautiful working clock in no time.
8. Light fittings. No pattern and 3D origami effect is too complex for your printer, which will create you a stunning light fitting. Fancy a chandelier over your dining table? Just print one out!
9. Toys. Print out some cute, durable toys for your kids, or for some special children in your life. These make great presents. And, if they get broken, they can be reprinted again as perfect copies from the original file.
10. IPad stands and accessories. From earphone cable ties to iPod cases and quirky stands to keep your iPad upright, you can create a stylish range of technological accessories.
11. Gear wraps. Gear wraps keep all of those cables and cords in place. They are such small and simple things, but you will find that they are indispensable.
12. Briefcases for your smart phone. Flexible, durable plastic is the ideal material for creating a safe case for your mobile computer.
13. A light up shoe! One of the more high end items that you can print is the electric light shoe created by Onitsuka Tiger. This shoe lights up when worn, or just by itself, and many people keep them as sculptures in their homes. The ideal complement to the red high heels mentioned above.
14. Medical models. Let technology help you with your studies and demonstrations: print out some accurate medical models in three dimensions.
15. Fetus. Why not commemorate your pregnancy with a printout of your unborn child?
16. Turn kids' drawings into 3D figurines. This is one of the cutest ways to use a 3D printer and really brings children's imaginations to life.
17. Loom. Not only the frame of the loom itself but the nylon thread that you weave on it can be printed out in 3D.
18. Musical instruments. You do not need to print only in plastic and nylon mixes. Stainless steel flutes have also been printed by Japanese artists!
19. Cameras. Print out a new lens or lens cap for your camera, or have a go at creating the whole thing.
20. Model cars! One for the collectors and enthusiasts.